Your cart is currently empty!
What is acne?
Acne vulgaris, simply known as acne, is a common skin disorder that occurs when pores are clogged with excess oil and dead skin cells. Bacteria within the clogged pores may contribute to inflammation and infection, resulting in acne spots that may be red, swollen and contain pus.
Acne come in different forms and severity, but are all a result of clogging of pores. Different types of acne lesions include blackheads, whiteheads, pimples/papules, pustules, nodules and cysts. The most commonly affected areas are the face, chest, shoulders and back.
Various stages & severity of acne
1. Mild: Few small lesions that are close to the skin’s surface – Blackheads
2. Moderate: Larger and more extensive acne lesions that may cover larger areas of the face, and/or back and chest – Whiteheads, pimples and pustules
3. Severe: Involves many more inflamed and deeper acne lesions that are spread over much of the face, and/or chest and back. Such acne lesions are more likely to leave behind acne scars and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation – Nodules and cysts
Acne is one of the most common skin conditions we come across at GMA, it is important to first complete a skin assessment and consultation to determine the type and severity of the acne we are dealing with in order to recommend the most suitable treatment plan for the individual patient.
GMA Acne Treatments
LASER ACNE TREATMENT
We have various laser technologies, such as the Yellowbeam, that effectively reduce and control breakouts. The Yellowbeam laser energy penetrates deep enough into the skin to reach the sebaceous gland follicles. The P.acnes bacteria and fungi considered to be local causes of acne are heated and destroyed in this procedure. The pustules begin to clear and the skin condition will improve after a series of treatments. Please note that depending on the patient, we may need to integrate lasers with acne-prone skincare and other treatments to achieve the most ideal outcomes.
COMPREHENSIVE ACNE TREATMENTS AT GMA
In addition to the Yellowbeam, we also offer other advanced treatments to help improve and control acne, including Infini RF Microneedling, GMA Clear & Yellow Stack Attack, Mummy Cool Peel, and other Chemical Peels.
To find out which treatment(s) are suitable and will give you the best results, please book a complimentary skin consultation and assessment with one of our skin experts.
What are the causes of acne?
While hormones are a common cause of acne, as is the case with teenage acne, there are other causes that we should be aware of in order to control and minimize the extent of breakouts.
1. Puberty – during puberty, adolescents experience a higher production of sebum and thus a clogging of pores. This may lead to inflammation and infection, causing acne spots that are visibly red and swollen.
2. Genetics – The patient’s genes will determine whether he/she is likely to get acne and the severity of their breakouts. If either or both of the patient’s parents have acne-prone and oily skin, then the patient will more likely have the same type of skin.
3. Skincare & Makeup – Ensure to use cosmetic products that are suitable for acne-prone skin and does not contribute to the clogging of pores. Use acne-prone skincare that help unclog the pores and contain active ingredients that are anti-inflammatory and anti-bacteria.
4. Sweating – Excessive sweating can contribute to the clogging of pores and worsen the breakouts.
5. Over Cleansing – It is sufficient to cleanse face twice a day, morning and night with a mild cleanser. Avoid the usage of harsh products containing strong acids and refrain from over scrubbing and exfoliating. Over washing may cause irritation and strip away the skin’s natural barrier, causing skin to be more sensitive and prone to acne.
6. Menstrual Cycle – Around this time of the month, many patients may experience more breakouts due to hormonal reasons.
7. Pregnancy – Pregnancy is known to be another common cause of hormonal acne.
8. Picking & Squeezing – Avoid picking at acne lesions as it may spread the bacteria and worsen the breakouts. Picking and squeezing may also cause permanent acne scarring.
Before & After
Looking for an acne treatment?
Book a free consultation so that one of our skin experts can assess your face and explain the treatment to you one-on-one.