Personalize your GMA experience
Cosmelan Peel System
What is the Cosmelan Peel System?
A professional depigmentation system that is designed to eliminate or reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation caused by one or more factors including sun exposure, inflammation, hormonal influences, exposure to chemicals, photosensitizing medication, aging and genetic tendency.
The Cosmelan Peel System works to reverse the effects of aging and photodamaged skin, while unifying the skin tone and promoting healthy skin that shines with a beautiful radiance.
Benefits of the Cosmelan Peel System
Clinical results reveal that patients may see up to 95% reduction in superficial skin discoloration within 30 days and continued, progressive improvement in the following months with daily application of the Cosmelan 2 Cream. Benefits of the System include:
- Treats various hyperpigmentation issues including stubborn melasma
- Reduces the appearance of acne scars and acne marks
- Prevents the appearance of new dark spots
- Improvement in the overall skin texture
- Safe for all skin types, including darker skin types more prone to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
How Does Cosmelan Work on Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a result of abnormal, uncontrolled overproduction of melanin (pigment responsible for giving the skin its colour). Therefore, to effectively treat hyperpigmentation, we must target the root cause by regulating and controlling the production of melanin – and that is exactly what Cosmelan does.
The Cosmelan Peel System incorporates an exclusive combination of active ingredients including azelaic acid, kojic acid, arbutin, phytic acid and ascorbic acid and titanium dioxide which act on all stages of the hyperpigmentation process to not only lift and eliminate existing pigment, but also regulate the overproduction of melanin by inhibiting tyrosinase (an enzyme in the melanin formation process) activation within the melanosome. Long term results are achieved by inhibiting and controlling the reappearance of dark spots and the development of new spots.
WHAT DOES THE COSMELAN PEEL SYSTEM ENTAIL?
The Cosmelan Peel System utilizes a comprehensive, integrated approach comprised of both in-clinic treatments and home maintenance kit for superior, endurable results.
• 72-hour Pre-Treatment: Mandelic Acid Brightening Peel
• Cosmelan 1 Mask Treatment
• Cosmelan 2 At-Home Kit
• Cosmelan 1 Mask Touch-up Treatment
• 3 Follow-up Progress Visits at 1-month, 2-month and 6-month post Cosmelan 1 Mask Treatment
Phase 1 – Intense Depigmentation
First 80 – 84 hours
- 72-Hour Pre-Treatment: 72 hours before the Cosmelan Mask Treatment, the skin will be prepared with GMA’s Mandelic Acid Brightening Peel. The purpose of incorporating the Mandelic Acid Brightening Peel as a pre-treatment is to accelerate the skin’s metabolism and cellular renewal to draw the pigmented skin cells to the surface.
- Day of Cosmelan 1 Mask Treatment: The treatment begins with deep cleansing to remove residual impurities and decongest the skin, followed by application of a degreasing solution for enhanced absorption of active ingredients. After cleansing and degreasing, we will apply a thick and even layer of the Cosmelan Mask to the entire face or over specific pigmented areas for 8-12 hours depending on the patient’s skin type and concerns:
- Skin Types 1 to 2: 8 hours
- Skin Types 3 to 4: 10 hours
- Skin Types 5 to 6: 12 hours
- Removal of Mask at Home: Once the recommended time of mask application is up, the patient is to remove the mask at home with plenty of lukewarm water.
Phase 2 – Continued Depigmentation
In addition to in clinic treatment, the other crucial part to the Cosmelan Peel System is the at home maintenance with daily application of Cosmelan 2 Cream to regulate the overproduction of melanin inside the melanocytes.
Phase 3 – Control of Hyperpigmentation
Month 2 and 3
At Home & In clinic
In this phase, it is important to target the root cause of hyperpigmentation by constant, persistent regulation of melanocytes and thus preventing the overproduction of melanin. This controls intra- and intercellular melanin production and prevents the reappearance of pigmentation.
This is achieved through continued use of the Cosmelan 2 Cream and coming for a second, 8-week visit at the clinic for another application of the Cosmelan Mask in targeted hyperpigmented areas.
Phase 4 – Controlling Reappearance
Month 4 and 7
The tendency to develop dark spots represents an ongoing risk, especially if there are hormonal influences and the DNA of melanocytes are compromised due to sun damage. During the control phase, the at home treatment prevents the reappearance of the treated spots and the formation of new ones, for longer-lasting results.
Who is Cosmelan For?
Cosmelan is safe and suitable for all skin types, even for darker skin types who are more prone to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It can be used al over the face, including the delicate area around the eyes, as well as the body including the armpits, knees, back and elbows.
When Will I See Results?
While every patient’s depth of pigment and skin condition varies, patients may begin to see noticeable results in as little as one to two weeks.
Is there Downtime?
With the Cosmelan 1 Mask, the patient may experience some facial redness, irritation and flaking of skin over the course of 1-3 weeks. Depending on the patient’s skin, they may also experience some skin sensitivity and redness with use of the Cosmelan 2 Cream.
Will the Hyperpigmentation Come Back After Cosmelan?
The answer is it depends – it depends on the patient’s lifestyle, the amount of sun exposure, whether the production of pigmentation is a result of genetic and hormonal influences, etc. While some forms of hyperpigmentation can be cured with proper after-care and sun protection, such as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, other forms of hyperpigmentation such as melasma has no cure but can definitely be improved and treated. Regardless of the form of hyperpigmentation we are looking to treat, we recommend all our patients to adopt strict UV protection habits including sunscreen application every 2 hours, sunglasses and hats.
Laser or Cosmelan?
Depending on the type of hyperpigmentation the patient is dealing with, the answer may be both.
Majority of patients will have mixed dermal (deep) and epidermal (more superficial) pigment. And therefore, a combination of treatments, including lasers such as the Clear + Brilliant and Yellowbeam, Cosmelan Peel System, and home-care are needed to more effectively conquer hyperpigmentation with a higher success rate. In addition, the overproduction of melanin represents an ongoing risk, especially if the health and DNA of the melanocytes (pigment producing skin cells) are damaged and compromised. This is where the Cosmelan Peel will come in AFTER the completion of a series of laser correction treatments to ensure long lasting results.
Depending on the patient’s skin type and their needs, some patients may not be suitable for laser treatments and the Cosmelan Mask may be the answer to various forms of hyperpigmentation issues.