Proper skincare is food for the skin and skin needs to eat healthy in order to stay healthy. Among other things, a powerful combination of vitamins A, C and E in skincare can work wonders for the skin. These essential vitamins work in harmony to support the skin’s natural processes and functions, essentially helping the skin do a better job from protecting to hydrating to rejuvenating.
Aging skin is largely caused by sun-induced vitamin A deficiency and thus it is crucial to replenish and nourish the skin with adequate levels of vitamin A. Healthy skin requires Vitamin A because it is the only vitamin that is able to repair and normalize the DNA function of our skin cells, allowing our skin cells to remain healthy and behave the way that they should. When the skin is vitamin A nourished, it has many anti-aging benefits:
- Aids with healthy collagen and elastin formation
- Normalizes the function of melanocytes and promotes a more even skin tone
- Improves problematic skin conditions such as rosacea
- Accelerates the healing process of skin and enhances in-clinic treatment results
- Developing and maintaining a healthier dermis and epidermis
- Normalizes any skin abnormalities such as overactive sebaceous glands
- Promotes NMF (natural moisturizing factor) of the skin so that the skin can remain hydrated
- Promotes healthy cellular production and turnover which tends to slow with age and helps with the appearance of dull and dehydrated skin
Vitamin C is well known for its skin brightening benefits and its ability to treat uneven skin tone and pigmentation. As an antioxidant, vitamin C helps to keep skin healthy by fighting oxidative stress and preventing sun damage. Besides the basic action as a free radical scavenger, vitamin C also has an important role to play in the formation of collagen and elastin, and when combined with vitamins A and E, skin laxity and wrinkles can be treated more effectively.
Vitamin E enhances the efficacy of active sunscreen ingredients and reduces the formation of free radicals from exposure to UV rays. This powerful antioxidant has anti-inflammatory properties and supports the skin’s natural healing process. Vitamin E also helps to strengthen the skin’s barrier function by protecting the skin barrier’s lipid balance, and thus reducing transepidermal water loss (helps skin lock in moisture)
Where to look for Skincare with Effective Doses of Vitamins A, C, and E?
At GMA, for the maintenance of long-term skin health, we recommend the Environ “Step Up” AVST Moisturisers from the Skin Essentia Range. These moisturizers contain a powerful blend of vitamins A, C, and E, antioxidants, peptides and other essential ingredients to assist in keeping skin healthy and beautifully radiant.
To learn more about Environ AVST Moisturisers or if you need assistance in finding a skincare regime that works for your skin, please contact us to book a complimentary skin assessment and consultation.